Monday, July 26, 2010

My Life on 6th Ave and Lenora

Music to listen while you read: "Blue in Green"

There was a place I once visited when I lived on the outskirts of Seattle. I remember dressing up real nice, sleek black leather shoes with black slacks and a double breasted coat to cover it all up. I held the hand of the girl I was dating at the time as rain splashed off her thick coat. We headed toward this place that had no front entrance, where the line began out back in the alley and met at an inconspicuous door. You could hear snare drums lightly beating out a rhythm for a piano that sat somewhere within that door, beckoning for whomever passed to come in and just take a seat. This was all a long time ago, but whenever I remember moments like these, where the main attraction is the music, it’s always impossible to see the memories in anything but an altered state. This is a world where nothing was what it seemed, and thats how everyone liked it. This is the world of Cool Jazz .

Me and the girl I was dating at the time saw Lou Rawls, a jazz and blues king that seemed like the coolest guy in the room, even though he was 70 years old. But who am I kidding, he was the coolest guy in the room, with his black tie and dark blue blazer. I wanted to talk like him, sing like him, I wanted to be him. There was one song I remember him singing "Something Stirring in My Soul," and boy did my soul stir.

After the concert I hungered for more. I ran amuck through all the greats, Miles Davis, John Coltrane and the gritty Louis Armstrong, to name a few. But it wasn't all about the music either. There was something greater that came from a friendship with these musicians, it was a lifestyle. My movements became a little more carefree, my constant need to move around and do things like children do was gone. I could watch the rain for hours or spend what seemed like an eternity without saying a word, but at the same time speaking my mind all the while. It was a world where putting on some slacks and a tie wasn't out of the ordinary, where opening the door for a girl was the first thing on your mind and when you danced, her knees quivered.

I'm not saying you'll instantly be a cool cat like Lou Rawls, speaking with that classy voice into his mic while a 92 year old man with a SoHo fashion sense played him a tune. All I'm trying to say is that this music is another world, made for a place where the clouds are a bit gloomy and maybe you have to wear a few more layers than usual. But God, it is classy. I have never felt as cool as I did when I walked through the rain in my double breast, holding the hand of a classy looking girl, heading toward a jazz club. Even though I live in Arizona now, where classic blues and jazz is a bit hard to find, when that rain starts coming down, it never felt so good to feel so blue.

Oh and if your ever in Seattle, go to Jazz Alley on 6th Avenue and Lenora. Just don't forget your double breast.

Some new(old) musicians to discover:

Miles Davis

John Coltrane

Blind Lemon Jefferson

Muddy Waters

Billie Holiday

Duke Ellington

Billie Holiday


19 comments:

  1. I love discovering "new old" music. My best friend loves jazz so I've heard a few of these artists but I will be sure to check out the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like live jazz music!! I think it moves me like it moves you. It really takes you to a far off place where nothing can go wrong. A night of live jazz, a glass of wine, and someone to dance with is a perfect night in my book.

    There's this place in downtown Phoenix and I wish I could remember what it's called. It's a small lounge in a hotel across the street from the Civic Center. Every saturday they have a live jazz band there. They are amazing!!! My boyfriend is a music buff and tough critic and he thought they were amazing too. They play their own stuff and also do some really great covers. If I ever remember what it's called, I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your music suggestion to read feature!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...it never felt so good to feel so blue."

    That is so apropos- I love the way jazz and blues music kind of permeates your mind that way.
    Have you ever been to Bobby C's downtown? Every now and then they have a jazz brunch on Sundays that is awesome.
    Thanks for the 'music to read by' suggestion- it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worked at a smoky, dirty, tiny Jazz club in Indianapolis called the Chatterbox for 9 years. This post kinda reminded me of those times, the music wafting into the street, and the intimacy of live Jazz in tight quarters. I'll have to look the place up next time I'm in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jazz music is amazing. It's so good to just relax and mellow out to. And I completely agree with the "classy" feeling you get listening to jazz music, especially live. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog looks great, I love the audience picture you added. Can't wait to see more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and that is some great music you are recommending.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, love the choice in music. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the style of your blog. I also love all the music you suggest and have checked them out on iTunes. I wonder if you can upload any sound clips on here?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice blog...my mom is a HUGE jazz fan and I forwarded her the link!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds clips are a great idea Tyler!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great entry. I love the picture that you painted here...with your outfit, walking in the rain, holding hands with a classy looking girl as you enter the wonderful world of jazz. Very poetic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made sure to listen to your Lou Rawl link as I read your post, and it helped set the scene, good job. My ipod may not have any jazz songs, but I can certainly appreciate it. It doesn't matter what you listen to or like, as long as you are passionate about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to go to Seattle. I have heard so much about the weather there. Now I know something about the music scene there. If I ever get a chance to go I will stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was at the Rhythm Room a couple weekends ago, and the best part was definitely the music. If the weather had been a little more like Seattle, the experience would have been improved.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will definitely look into putting some sound clips in, I think that would definitely help with the layout. I'm glad everyone liked the first post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "I could watch the rain for hours or spend what seemed like an eternity without saying a word, but at the same time speaking my mind all the while. It was a world where putting on some slacks and a tie wasn't out of the ordinary, where opening the door for a girl was the first thing on your mind and when you danced, her knees quivered." Very nicely put. What would life be like without music?

    ReplyDelete