Monday, August 2, 2010

The Singer / Songwriter

When John Mayer's Room for Squares came out in 2001 it was somewhat of an unknown album to many. Based on No Room for Squares by Hank Mobley, who was an American hard bob and soul jazz saxophonist, it wasn’t until word of mouth had garnered John the popularity he deserved that the album hit the radio.

I first heard the single “No Such Thing” on the radio a year later, and it was a surreal experience to say the least. Being in high school at the time I really connected with the song. The song spoke about growing up and having your parents tell you to stay within the lines. But then John did something magical, he told me I was invincible and that I should go beyond those lines, to the other side, where there was something better. I was ecstatic, I wanted to be famous, I wanted to inspire people like he inspired me. Yet this is where things got a bit complicated. The time I spent in middle school and high school, all I listened to was hip-hop and rap. It was the hip and cool thing to do, and deep down inside I liked it. Room for Squares was my first foray into a different genre of music, and it scared me. I was worried that people would mock me for listening to "girl music," and that whatever credibility I had in high school would be gone. But the more I listened to this album the more I discovered myself. While listening to “The Great Indoors” I went on an adventures through my house. “Why Georgia” would teach me to travel and enjoy not only the journey but also the destination. “Your Body is a Wonderland” taught me to love, Neon taught me to leave her and Comfortable taught me to remember her fondly.

For me this wasn't just an exploration of a different genre, it was my education and the discovery of myself. The singer/songwriter artist isn't just a musician who plays a few songs he'd written once upon a time, he is a teacher, he is your companion through the hard times and the good time. He holds your hand when you cry and laughs with you when you're happy. But apart from my obvious bias for John Mayer I believe this to be true for all singer/songwriter, and they shouldn’t be taken for granted.

So if you haven't ever listened to Room for Squares, pick it up next time. But don't just buy the songs, go and buy the actual album. This is an object that transcends the music that it holds. Without the album, you are missing a very important piece, John's personal touch. I know this is cryptic, but for all of you who do pick up the album, you will be very surprised.

My parting words to you would be: don't stick to your guns when you come across a singer/songwriter, for they will teach you things you never knew about yourself.

Artist to discovers:

Cat Power

John Mayer

Matt Nathanson

Ron Pope

City and Colour (Dallas Green)

Iron & Wine

14 comments:

  1. I think "Comfortable" was the first John Mayer to really touch me, I love that song. I'm so glad you're a defender of the album as a complete work of art. When I grew up that was the normal way to experience music, and I think there's something lost when we divorce great music from the vision the artist had for the album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, what a great post! I had a similar experience in high school with a Counting Crows album- August and Everything After- and actually, I feel the way you've written every time I discover a new songwriter that speaks to me. It is an integral part of why music is so important to me- I discover myself a little more every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love John Mayer and Iron & Wine. Truly fabulous artists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I forgot another artist. You guys will absolutely love Eric Hutchinson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everybody is just a stranger but
    That's the danger in going my own way
    Guess it's the price I'll have to pay.

    Great line...

    Other notables: Ray LaMontagne, Aimee Mann, Beth Orton, Bob Dylan, Bon Iver, Glen Hansard, Jackson Browne, Joe Jackson, Josh Ritter, Lucinda Williams, Patty Griffin, Regina Spektor, Ryan Adams, Teddy Thompson, Richard Thompson, Tim Finn, Tom Waits, and many many others who I'm forgetting...

    And August and Everything After is a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recommendation with Iron and Wine. They're stuff with the band Calexico is frickin amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been a huge Mayer fan, probably because I have trouble separating his music from his personal life. Maybe I'll have to give him another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are only a few John Mayer songs that I really like but I'm with Tauri on trying to separate his personal life from his music.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful entry!!

    I think so many people can identify with you when you describe how you listened to what was "cool" when you were in highs school. I have to admit that I was very shy in expressing my musical tastes when I was that age. Now I'm proud of my eclectic taste in music. Just like for you, the array of music that I enjoy is a reflection of who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was younger, I only listened to music that the people surrounding me were listening to. I kept a close circle. It wasn't until my college years when I finally broaden my taste in music and explored other genres. I'm glad I opened up my ears because there are so many talented artists out there who are not very heard of. It's great discovering music I can connect with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't really get into music until my 20s but have been a lover ever since. I like almost all music, and I do so love John Mayer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must admit, I've never been a huge John Mayer fan, but I will listen to this song. Thanks for the rec :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always heard of John Mayer but never connected the voice to the name or to the face. I listened to "No Such Thing" and the dots have finally been connected. While this may not be my favorite music, I can still appreciate others' work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. John has been kind of a douche bag when in the spotlight. But what was surprising to me is when I read and listened to a bunch of his interviews. In the end I don't think he's any different from any of us. He's just as fallible and lost as we are, only he chose to play guitar and sing. This opinion was solidified when I saw him in concert several times, he's just a guy with a guitar except for sometimes he says stuff that people don't like. But in the end, don't we all.

    ReplyDelete