Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Laid Back Beat, and The Poets of The Modern World

My history with Hip-Hop, R&B and Rap has been a life long journey. They have always been ever evolving musical genres and to some even controversial. Because they crossover and overlap and create something that is hard to define, a single song can be designated as a Hip-Hop track because of the beat, a Rap song because of the artists or an R&B because of the lyrics. Until this massive ever-changing genre is finally defined it will be impossible to label the music that some call Hip-Hop, R&B or Rap. But this is what makes this music so special; it is pure, fallible and originates from the heart.

There are many great Hip-Hop artists that I've had the chance to listen to that pioneered the genre in the 80's and 90's, but let’s take a look at the present day. The classics will always be just that, classics. But few view Hip-Hop of today worthy of such praise and in my opinion this shouldn't be the case, especially with what I call "The Laid Back Beat," which plays wonders on the ears and at times, the heart. Present day artists such as Common, Drake, Lil' Wayne and The Roots have all redefined music by evoking emotion while utilized the laid back beat and it wouldn't be wrong to call them poets, as their lyrical ballads have the power to move the heart and evolve the state of someone's mind.

When the new millennium began I had left Hip-Hop behind in search of new music for my hungry ears, yet five years later in 2005 I came back to the genre. To my surprise I had found something completely different and once again I set out on a journey of discovery. What I found was fit into two groups: generic cookie cutter song of mainstream Hip-Hop, and soulful tunes written from the heart. The latter discovery took me on a journey that I will forever remember.

I first picked up Like Water for Chocolate by Common, instantly recognizing the influence of jazz and soul. The fifth track on this album was titled "The Light," a track that instantly found a home in my heart. To me it was more then just a song but a love letter. It was personal and painful, but most of all true to one's emotions, transcending into such a place where I find it hard to describe in words. When there is too much distance from the ones I love, this song always helps me find my home.

The last remaining Hip-Hop band, The Roots, came next. I was exhilarated. Never had I experienced such music in a band setting. The feel and sound of Hip-Hop was all there, but real instruments formed the rhythmic music that created the foundation for the lyrical poetry that I experienced. Many of their albums crossed my ears but two songs really griped my heartstrings. "Atonement" from Game Theory and "You Got Me" off of Things Falls Apart . Whenever there is a moment in my life that is filled with pain and hardship there are only a few songs that give me solace, "Atonement" being one of them. It is ethereal and flows through me in ways only music can, giving me strength and power to push on ahead. But when there is heartbreak in my life, "You Got Me" does the same. There is power is these songs, enough to give you strength to take on the world.

Lil' Wayne and Drake quite new in relation to the other musicians on this list and it is hard to not to give them credit for their music. There are countless tracks that can hold a person in a trance yet only one that I will mention. I strive to be a person that can influence people with my stories of music and I found " Successful" by Drake, featuring Lil' Wayne and Trey Songz to be inspiring beyond words. Songs like this give me motivation I need in order to push ahead in my passion.

Hip-Hop is still brand new and evolving. There will always be people who dislike it and people who love it. But the truth is these artists are all lovers, sinners and poets. Their music comes from the heart and from experience, giving it something that music cannot live without: truth. So if you don't already listen to Hip-Hop, Rap or R&B, give it a chance. Because as they say, the truth will set you free.

Artists To Discover:

Common

The Roots

Mos Def

Lil' Wayne

Kanye West

Drake

Talib Kweli

Jay-Z

Notorious BIG

Big Pun

Tupac

Erykah Badu

Lauryn Hill

7 comments:

  1. Your "artists to discover" are always spot on. I definitely will check out the ones I haven't heard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great music selection. I love all of those artists, especially Common, Lauryn Hill, Mos Def, Kanye, and Erykah Badu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you covered all of the big names how do you feel about street mix tapes? I have heard some quality work from that variety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Roots are great. I am still shocked every time I turn on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and see them as the house band. Not sure what to make of it actually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always say that RAP is Rhythm And Poetry. It's not just about drugs, sex, and violence as some people think it is. It goes much deeper than that. Those are some great artists you mentioned. Another great hip hop artist is Lupe Fiasco. Eminem can also spit some pretty sick rhymes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. India Arie is also amazing. "There's Hope" is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete