Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Arizona Locals

Think of a memory? It might be a sad memory or it might be a happy one. Is one of your favorite songs stuck in your head? The one thing the I found music does best is make those memories so much more positive and memorable then they can be without music.

For me moving to Arizona is currently one of the most life changing things I have done in my life. Not only was I almost completely alone and starting from scratch, but I head left the musical haven of Seattle behind and found myself in a completely different environment where music took a very unique turn in its development. I found myself interacting with many different local bands that had garnered local fame. Five years had passed since that day and from the countless musician that I had encountered, three stand out from the group.

The Format came to me by accident. My long friend and college roommate, out of pure curiosity, had downloaded a free song off of iTunes and I had the wonderful idea of taking it off his hands and making it mine. This started a very long and wonderful relationship with The Format. That initial song was called “On Your Porch”, a quiet acoustic ballad that was sad yet refreshing kept me grounded when I was missing home. I then proceeded to find the entire album “Interventions and Lullabies,” from which the song was from and experience a unique blend of Indie and Southern Rock, which was unheard of in the northern state of Washington. Unfortunately the band broke up after their second album, but with their help I thankfully found a new home.

Dear and The Headlights followed suit and just as I had accidentally stumbled upon the previous band, I found Dear and The Highlights mysteriously sitting on my iPod after my friend had her way with it. The same Indie/Southern Rock mixture was there, but something was strange about this new band. I couldn’t put my finger on at first but then I noticed a subtle synth piano within some of the songs. I couldn’t believe it! Somehow due to some set of strange circumstances the 80’s synth paino had been slowing inching its way into the music that young musicians were creating. I was uncertain of this weird influence of 80’s pop on my music, but like all new things it grew on me and I made countless friends just by listening to this band.

The discovery of the 80’s synth piano was what made the band The Summer Set such a wonderful surprise. This pop-Indie rock band plays on the musical clichés of broken heart and finding love. Sure it sounds a bit girly and unoriginal but the way the band mixes hip-hop beats, synthesizers and electric guitar to form music that you can party to, fix your heartbreak with and learn to love from. As I returned to Seattle with my new experiences in life and music I found that I had created not only new ideas and feeling about my music and the people that make it, but also new memories that correlate to these bands.

My love life, my friendships and my life’s tragedies are written in the music these bands make, and for that I think I am a better person.

The Bands and their music that you should discover:

Dear and The Headlights

Sweet Talk

Run in The Front

Grace

Mother Make Me Golden

I’m Bored, You’re Amorous

The Summer Set

Sing it Out

Can You Find

Love In This Club (Usher Cover)

She’s Got The Rhythm

The Format

Any song they’ve ever written

No comments:

Post a Comment